© 2004 John Wilson, All Rights Reserved.
Berwick-upon-Tweed passed between English and Scottish rule many times between 1147 (when the River Tweed was made the Scottish boundary) and 1482, when King Edward IV claimed the town for England.
The other two bridges which can be seen in the distance downstream are The Old Bridge and The Royal Tweed Bridge. The Old Bridge, also known as Berwick Bridge dates from 1611 and is of red sandstone construction with 14 arches. The Royal Tweed Bridge is the most recent. Built in 1925, it carries the old main road through Berwick-upon-Tweed, although a more modern road now bypasses the town to the west.